13/01/1938 - 13/03/2015
interviews | biography
A celebration of daevid's life took place Sunday, 22nd March 2015 at New Brighton Beach, Australia. [Facebook invitation].
daevid is survived by four sons, who together are DAFT - the daevid allen Family Trust.
- Facebook: Bondage Bear Gong
- Last public performance: Pizza Paradiso, 2015-02-26 [2'27"] Vimeo
- David Bowie's "Confessions of a Vinyl Junkie" lists daevid allen's Banana Moon in his top 25 albums, saying in part: "It's possible, just possibly maybe, that strands of the embryonic glam style started here."
- BBC Radio 6: Going, Going, Gong - Stuart Maconie's Freakier Zone, 2015-03-29
- CKCU 93.1 FM: St daevid's Day. A Tribute to the Grandfather of Pothead Pixies - Heavy Friends, 2015-03-14
- Echoes: The Last Flying Teapot to Planet Gong: Echoes Remembers daevid allen R.I.P. - 2015-03-19
- IT [International Times]: The Man Who Couldn't Be Killed - Norman Jope, 2017-08-27
- Lightbaz (IL): Gong & Beyond - Uri Zer Aviv, 2015-03-15
- In Memory of John Peel:
- Phoenix FM (UK): daevid allen Tribute Show - Steve Davis + Kavus Torabi, 2015-03-22
- Progzilla: All Hail The Chief PotHead Pixie [stream/download 111'55"] - 2015-03-16
- Radio PFM (FR): La Transformation de daevid allen - Gong ! - Tumultes, 2015-03-17
- Radio Libertaire (FR): daevid allen [90'45"] - Yves Migdal, 2015-04-16
- Radio Rock (IT): [podcast] - Fulvio Savagnone, 2015-03-26
- Resonance FM (UK): daevid allen Tribute [Mixcloud, 131'] 2015-03-20
- Totally Radio: The Daily Show [58'12"] - Mike Bradshaw, 2015-03-16
- Transmusic Airwaves #109: daevid allen [audio, 180'] - Paul Ciminero, KUSF-in-exile 2015-03-20
- WBWC (USA) #591: Somewhere Between Sunrise & Sunset - 2015-03-17
- The Age (AU):
- Byron Echo (AU): daevid allen, founder of Gong and Soft Machine, dies - Luis Fellu, 2015-03-16
- Clash Music: Gong Founder daevid allen Has Died - Robin Murray, 2015-03-13
- Classic Rock (NL): In memoriam: Soft Machine- en Gong-oprichter daevid allen (1938-2015) - 2015-03-13
- Come Mi Svesto (IT): daevid allen muore di cancro e lascia una lettera ai suoi fans: ecco le parole del genio della progressive music. - Jennifer Blanco, 2015-03-14
- Consequence of Sound: R.I.P. daevid allen, founder of Gong and Soft Machine, has died - Ben Kaye, 2015-03-13
- Cuneiform Records: R.I.P. daevid allen 2015-05-20
- Deia Olive Press: daevid allen Obituary - David Holzer, 2015-04-23
- El Diario (ES): Progresivos y peligrosos: el lado más bestia del "underground" - Yago Garcia, 2015-04-08
- Dirty Rock (ES): TITLE - Carlos Pérez Báez, 2015-03-15
- Efe Eme (ES): Muere daevid allen, fundador de Soft Machine y Gong - 2015-03-13
- The Examiner: daevid allen: World-renowned rocker dies at 77 2015-03-16
- Expressen (SE): daevid allen är död - blev 77 år gammal - Emma Malmlöf, 2015-03-13
- FACT Mag: A Beginner's Guide to Gong and Soft Machine's daevid allen - Mikey Jones, 2015-03-24
- Le Figaro (FR): daevid allen, fondateur de Gong et Soft Machine est mort - Alicia Paulet, 2015-03-13
- FMD - Fare Music (IT): daevid allen ci ha lasciato… - Athos Enrile, 2015-03-14
- Folha de São Paulo (BR): Morre aos 77 o guitarrista daevid allen, referência do rock progressivo - 2015-03-13
- Folking: daevid allen: 13th January 1938 - 13th March 2015 - 2015-03-13
- France TV Info - Culturebox (FR): La mort de daevid allen, fondateur de Gong et Soft Machine - Annie Yanbékian, 2015-03-13
- Freakout Magazine (IT): E' morto daevid allen, fulcro dei Soft Machine e dei Gong. - 2015-03-13
- Gele Kanarie (NL): Baanbrekende spacerock-hippie bereikt ultieme doel - Marco von der Hochgemuth, 2015-03-13
- O Globo (BR): Morre daevid allen, líder da banda de rock progressivo Gong - Silvio Essinger, 2015-03-13
- The Guardian (UK):
- Hipersonica (ES): Muere daevid allen, fundador de Soft Machine y Gong - Victor Villar, 2015-03-13
- Independent (UK): daevid allen: Musician who became a founder member of Soft Machine and the visionary leader of influential space rockers Gong - Pierre Perrone, 2015-03-13
- International Times (UK):
- Internazionale (IT): È morto il musicista daevid allen, fondatore dei Soft Machine e dei Gong - 2015-03-13
- Inquisitr: daevid allen: Founder of 'Gong' and 'Soft Machne' guitarist dead at 77 years-old - Sarah Eckman, 2015-03-14
- Daily KOS: Where Have All Those Hours Gone: RIP daevid allen - Matching Mole, 2015-03-17
- Los Angeles Times: Remembering daevid allen, co-founder of Soft Machine and Gong - Randall Roberts, 2015-03-15
- Louder Than War: daevid allen RIP - Psychedelic hero and Gong man passes away - John Robb, 2015-03-13
- MOJO: daevid allen: 1938-2015 - Phil Alexander, 2015-03-13
- Le Monde (FR): Le Gong a sonné pour daevid allen - Sylvain Siclier, 2015-03-13
- Metrodora (IT): Addio al mistico folletto daevid allen - Roberto Giannini, 2015-03-15
- Musik Express (DE): daevid allen, mitbegründer von Soft Machine und Gong, ist tot - Severin Mevissen, 2015-03-14
- NME - New Musical Express: Gong and Soft Machine founder daevid allen dies age 77 - Leonie Cooper, 2015-03-13
- New York Times: daevid allen, Guitarist, Singer and Founder of Gong and Soft Machine, Dies at 77 - Peter Keepnews, 2015-03-16
- El Pais (ES): daevid allen, músico visionario - Diego Manrique, 2015-03-15
- Panorama (IT): daevid allen: è morto il leader dei Gong - Gabriele Antonucci, 2015-03-13
- Pitchfork: daevid allen, Founder of Gong and Soft Machine, Dead at 77
- Psychedelic Sight: daevid allen dies; ringmaster of Gong - abel, 2015-03-17
- Radio Metal (FR): daevid allen : Son Dernier Coup de Gong - Arthur Nimal, 2015-03-16
- La Repubblica (IT): È morto daevid allen, fondatore dei Soft Machine e dei Gong - Valeria Rusconi, 2015-03-17
- RN (Radio National, AU): Remembering Divided Alien (AKA daevid allen) 2015-03-16
- RockAxis (ES): Falleció el líder de Gong, daevid allen - 2015-03-13
- Rolling Stone: Gong, Soft Machine Founder daevid allen Dead at 77 - Daniel Krepps, 2015-03-13
- The Scotsman: Obituary: daevid allen, musician - David Pollock, 2015-03-15
- The Spreadit: daevid allen Dies At 77: Rocker Behind Gong And Soft Machine Is Dead - Garrett Montgomery, 2015-03-17
- La Stampa (IT): Addio a daevid allen, genio della progressive - 2015-03-13
- The Stranger: RIP, Progressive-Rock Visionary, Gong Leader daevid allen - Mike Nipper, 2015-03-13
- Strawberry Bricks: daevid allen, an obituary - Charles Snider
- TeamRock: Guitarist Steve Hillage pays tribute to the late Gong leader and all-round Cosmic Pixie - Dave Ling, 2015-04-17
- The Telegraph (UK): daevid allen, prog-rock innovator 2015-03-13
- Telerama (FR): daevid allen, fondateur de Gong et Soft Machine, est mort - 2015-03-13
- The Times (UK): daevid allen 2015-03-15
- TMV (FR): RIP daevid allen - Doc Pilot, 2015-03-16
- uDiscoverMusic: daevid allen RIP - 2015-03-13
- Ultimate Classic Rock: Gong Founder daevid allen Dies - Nick DeRiso, 2015-03-13
- The Wire: daevid allen dies aged 77 - 2015-03-18
- World Electric Guitar (RU): daevid allen
Blogs & Vlogs
- E.O.M.S. Terry Riley on daevid allen - 2015-03-18
- MTV [VH1]
- Wikipedia: daevid allen EN : ES : FR : IT : PT
- Dangerous Minds: Pataphysical Materialism: daevid allen and New York Gong, Live in Los Angeles, 1979
- daevid allen + Robert Wyatt (film extras): Playa de Formentor [YouTube, 1'14"] 1964
- Dereck Higgins: Dereck and daevid 1996 Kansas City USA
- Matt Maber [Facebook]: Magick Brothers at the Fawcett Inn, Southampton
- John Morton: "Twelve Selves" - Vancouver 1991 (Figure 01-14a)
Q: I am a big fan of daevid allen and The Gong. I have a question, I would like to know which kind of squeaky sound is it at the very end of the song DEATH ROCK, just before early crows rooster. Could it be birds or mice? Please, pay my deep regards to daevid and thank You for Your answer. Love - Marek in Prague, 2010-10-24
A: AND THE ANSWER IS: huge magnificent mice with twinkling eyes and tiny spanish mustaches PLUS tiny microscopic birds called "bragas" who gather round drones whenever they are played. They were recorded by reel to reel UHER portable tape machine and a pashtenko 303 tube microphone with a very long lead. (I trust this sounds believable) Cheers, daevid
"Takes a lot of ingenuitea to get through the day…" - daevid, 2010-11-08
Q: "…why couldn't/shouldn't Gong exist eternally and carry on after the original folks have gone on? That Gong would survive as an entrusted legacy to those who remain and continue to carry the message that was daevid's seed vision all those years ago? Gong should live on as functioning organism beyond the confines of life and death. More of a rebirth, if you will." - Donald in Raleigh
In the whirlwind of life after childhood I was somehow lucky enough to have picked up on the transmission from planet Gong as if by divination. I read in your recent message that "I can only hope that during this journey, I have somehow contributed to the happiness in the lives of a few other fellow humans."
I suddenly felt it very important to tell you that your spirit, your creations, your essence has permeated me so deeply that I feel very close to you. Your music sounds like me, it's a part of me. I am without a doubt a resident of the beautiful smoky planet.
As an artist and musician, I've been learning from you, not only stylistically but spiritually. Seemingly out of my control, my expressions in music and drawing have become unmistakeable continuations of your mythology and creative spirit.
I hope you can take solace in the fact that you've created something much larger than yourself that continues to grow.
I love you, daevid. I love you so much. I tearfully thank you for allowing yourself to do what you've done, and in turn allowing me to participate.
If you get this, please let me know, it'd be very nice to know that you got this message.
<3 just another pothead pixie (Ryan, 2015-02-05)
- Dear daevid
I took so much time to tell you how much you took great importance in my life. When you were in France I saw the very beginning of Gong in strange places, as schools or some stuff like that.
You were living very close to my village Voisines in the big house aux Hay, I remembered Didier blowing his soprano in fields, making running cows, which they were not crazy at this time. I always would like to speak to you, but I was so impressed to see you and all the band in the Grande Rue of this village, my village, I cannot believe it was you.
I became musician (piano player) because of you, and Soft Machine and Magma and so and so. I went to jazz after, but I always keep in my heart the madness of Camembert électrique and Flying Teapot etc. I told the same to Hugh Hopper when I saw him in Paris.
So what to say more, just I'm with you and thank you so much, so much for happiness joy fun freedom a way of life, a way of thinking, it opened me towards art, movies, philosophy, creation and so much, and to became musician. You participate to it.
Thanks again and again…
My very best wishes for all and as I say : Fraterniswing !
Yves R Migdal, 2015-02-06
Radio Libertaire - Paris 89,4 FM : daevid allen tribute programme [90'45"] 2015-04-16
…wanted to send a message to say that daevid will always be a big hero to me. I've found his guitar playing and person to be a great inspiration, one million plus zero!
I hung out one night with daevid, Hugh Hopper and Pip Pyle. I'll never forget that night as I had to tell Hugh how much I thought that Soft Machine 2 was one of the greatest albums ever. daevid's glissando guitar style always blew me away and still an inspiration to my playing to this day!
Scott, Starry Night Records USA (2015-02-23)